Welcome to the general information page for Christ the King Academy Homeschool Co-op in KCMO, located at 85th and Wornall Road! We are so glad you decided to see what we're about!
Below you’ll find out more about our amenities, extras, cost, time commitment, and examples of classes, dress code information, as well as personal testimony from a longtime co-op member. At the very end, you can find contact information!
Please know that we are not a multi-denominational homeschool co-op at this time and we do require a copy of your VIRTUS certificate upon enrollment so we can keep that on file. Most classes are held on the 2nd floor of the school building, and there is no elevator.
· Art room (basement level)
· Cafeteria (new ceiling and floor as of 2021; basement level)
· Full library K-8 (2nd floor)
· Gymnasium (new floor as of 2021; main level)
· Nursery (2nd floor)
· Science room (2nd floor)
· Teacher's Lounge stocked with coffee, hot chocolate, and water, as well as various hygiene items, and fully stocked first aid kits (2nd floor)
· Field Day every May after co-op classes end for the year
· Graduation ceremony (after Mass in May) and celebration for 8th and 12th graders each year
· Mass at noon, followed by Lunch and then Recess
· Service opportunities: Junior High kids clean cafeteria tables after lunch; High Schoolers mop the school once a month
· Student Council (past years have included activities such as: praying a rosary in front of the church; Laps 4 Life fundraiser at Sunnyside Park with money going to a crisis pregnancy charity; dodgeball tournaments as fundraisers, dances, trivia day, buddy day, spirit day, pajama day, and more!)
· Yearbook (a full-color, 44-page book in hardcover or softback)
· Yearbook-signing event
There are five parts to our fees:
1. An insurance fee of approximately $16 per year (unless you already carry insurance through another co-op) PER FAMILY. This cost comes directly from the diocese. If you are already part of another KCMO group that pays this, please let us know.
2. A base supply fee of $100, which is used for copy paper, toner, bathroom supplies, general teaching supplies, cleaning supplies, hosting for our school website, etc. PER FAMILY. (You’ll place a nonrefundable $35 deposit when you sign up to hold your spot. If you drop out after July 31, your entire supply fee is nonrefundable because we have already paid your spot for the website hosting, bought supplies for the year, etc.)
3. A donation to the church of $200, which goes to the church to help offset costs of lights, air conditioning, heat, water, etc. PER FAMILY (*this may increase slightly for the 2022/2023 school year)
4. Class fees (optional), depending on what you choose to enroll your children in. These range from approximately $10 (for a year of Art just for a child you have enrolled in that class) to approximately $40 (for a year of Chemistry). Some years we also have the blessing of outside teachers, who might charge between $50-100 per semester for a class such as Faith and Morality, Literature, etc.
5. Books needed for classes. This is at the discretion of each teacher, as we don’t use one set curriculum for the entire co-op.
Yes, this means that whether you have one child or ten children, whether you attend part-time or full-time, the most you will pay for base fees for an entire school year is $300 plus the low insurance fee.
Example: Mary had 6 children and comes to co-op part-time (just three hours out of the five available hours). Three of her kids are in an Art class that has a $10 fee for the entire year. All of the children are either in the Nursery, PreK classes, or in classes that don’t need books or have any extra fees. Mary’s total cost for the year looks like this:
$200 (church) + $100 (supply) + $16 (insurance) + $30 (3 kids in Art classes) = $346
Most years, CTK Academy holds classes two full days per week for a total of 10 class hours. The base cost is the same no matter how many hours are held per week.
Your Time Commitment
Our co-op model requires parents to remain on campus with their children. Some years we meet on Mondays and Wednesdays from approximately 8:30 until 3:30. This year we are only meeting on Wednesdays 8:30-3:30, which includes 5 class periods, as well as Mass, Lunch, and Recess. We generally meet September (after Labor Day) through mid-May, which some High School classes meeting starting mid-August (this does not apply to the 2021/2022 school year).
A point system has been established to ensure that parents contribute, according to the time their children spend at co-op. Points are PER FAMILY (not per child).
If you teach one class, you earn 2 service points for that class.
As a Teacher’s Helper, you earn 1 service point per class.
If you are in the Nursery for one class period, you earn 1 service point.
Various other points are awarded for jobs only after all teacher/helper jobs have been filled. These other jobs include: mop coordinator, bathroom cleaner, yearbook coordinator, librarian, cafeteria cleaner, altar server coordinator, Committee member, and more.
Example: Mary has 6 children. They attend co-op 3rd hour, 4th hour and 5th hour. This means Mary needs 3 service points. She agrees to teach 5th/6th grade Science Experiments for 2 points for the entire year, and Drama to the High Schoolers only 2nd semester. This earns Mary the 3 service points she needs to be a member in good standing. Of course, Mary is free to take on more points if she’d like! She’s also happy to step in as a substitute teacher during one of her free hours when needed, help out if another mom is on maternity leave, or pop in to help out in some other way.
Examples of Classes
Below is a general idea of classes that will be offered for the 2021/2022 school year. Please see contact information at the end of this post if you’re interested in seeing the entire schedule as it now stands. The way grades are combined depends on enrollment numbers.
Nursery is typically provided
PreK-K: Morning Basket, Phonics, Religion, Storytime/Movement, PE
1st and 2nd grade: Math Games, Religion/First Communion Prep, Geography, Art,
3rd and 4th grade: History, Games, Art, PE, Reader’s Theater
5th and 6th grade: LEGO Robotics (this class is currently full), PE, Art, Cooking, STEAM, Drama
7th and 8th grade: World History, PE, Art Appreciation, Cooking, Drawing Skills, Photography, Grammar & Composition, STEAM, Theology ($50/year with Frank Dinovo), Geography
High School: World History, Advanced Cooking, Anatomy and Lab (two hours, 11/12), Biology Lab (9/10), PE, Drawing Skills, Photography, Economics (11/12), Grammar & Composition, STEAM, Theology ($50/year with Frank Dinovo), Geography
Dress Code Information
Students wear uniforms, which are required during all times that co-op is in session, including Mass, lunch, and recess. You can find the entire Dress Code Policy here. We do have many donated co-op uniform pieces available for free in the Teacher’s Lounge.
Shark Dissection Day at Co-op 2016 by Kerrie McLoughlin (2021/2022 will be their 7th year with CTK Academy)
On Wednesdays we Wear Uniforms by Kerrie McLoughlin
Please contact Jill Connors at email@example.com, and she can send over the schedule as it currently stands, as well as set up a shadow/tour day and answer any other questions you have).
We look forward to meeting you!